Monday, October 15, 2012

Unique Writers, Unique Difficulties

by Marsail George 

Usually, the writing process progresses through three stages: the prewriting stage, the writing stage, and the editing stage. Although the writing process seems easy to follow, that’s not always true. Different writers, especially from other cultures, face various problems.

English as a second language (ESL) writers are always concerned about clarity and structure. And these are the problems they are aware of; in reality, they suffer greater problems when writing for a culturally different audience such as the American one. Their difficulty could stem from difficulties with language interference to educational differences.

Personally, in my writing process, creating an argument, taking one side, and supporting it with evidence were my biggest difficulties. When I was in school in Egypt, professors expected me to memorize the facts and display that I knew the topic well, as most ESL students are taught to do.

I didn’t have to analyze and state my opinion. This strategy of learning didn’t prepare me for an American audience. I didn’t know how to write a solid paper with a strong argument and justification. I also struggled with getting to the point and clarifying my purpose. In my culture, a long introduction is standard and the purpose of the writing is not mentioned early in the paper.

Over time, writing in a foreign language and culture becomes easier. As an ESL writer, I value having a number of readers read and comment on my papers, to have more than one person’s feedback. I learned how to be a reflective writer, and how to apply all that I learned in my papers. You can too.

6 comments:

  1. I actually as well lagged by using finding look here clear plus making clear this reason. At my customs, long release is definitely ordinary plus the reason for a crafting will not be brought up quick while in the newspaper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We really too lagged by utilizing discovering appear right here obvious in addition producing obvious this get more particular cause. Inside my traditions, lengthy discharge is certainly regular in addition the reason behind the creating won't be raised fast whilst in the paper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many of us genuinely way too lagged by means of acquiring look in this article evident moreover making evident this specific have more certain bring about https://www.paraphraseexample.com/paraphrase-help/how-to-paraphrase-a-paragraph/. On the inside our cultures, long eliminate is perhaps standard moreover the grounds behind your generating will not lifted rapid even though inside cardstock.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are concerned because that is considered the second language and they have to visit website all the time to learn what they are lacking in front of the interview panel so they have to prove themselves for the job they are looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A writer is a person who write speech for various topics. This is really very good article about solve writers writing difficulties with three stage. This information and tips should helpful for writers. Here try this to get best professional letter writing services. Thanks for sharing informative article.

    ReplyDelete